If you get into a truck accident in Louisiana, you’re going to suffer pretty serious injuries. Often times, it’s the person in the passenger vehicle who receives the brunt of the impact. Usually, the truck driver suffers no injuries or at all or, at most, minor injuries. This means you’ll probably have a legal claim against the driver and their employer.
The trucking company will almost always be held vicariously liable for the actions of their employees. This is why your Louisiana accident lawyer will name both parties in your lawsuit. However, there are times when the trucking company will refuse to pay your claim. It depends on the situation.
If the trucking company does deny your claim, your Louisiana truck accident lawyer will demand to know why. And, they’ll appeal your claim and fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
What Should You Do Immediately After Your Truck Accident in Louisiana?
There are certain things you need to do after your truck accident. The first thing you have to do is call the police. Chances are, the truck driver won’t disagree with this. They could lose their job if they don’t report an accident. They can even lose their commercial driver’s license.
The next thing you have to do is seek immediate medical treatment. You could have suffered injuries that you don’t know about. This could include internal injuries or a traumatic brain injury.
The last thing you need to do is call an experienced accident lawyer in Louisiana. They’ll make sure your claim is handled properly from the start. They’ll also push to get you the compensation you deserve.
The Truck Driver’s Employer May Deny Liability
Most of the time, the trucking company won’t give you a hard time about paying your claim. If their employee caused the crash, they should understand that they’ll probably be held liable. However, sometimes, an employer will deny liability. Some of these situations include:
- The driver was not on the clock at the time of the accident.
- The driver was violating company policy when they were involved in the crash.
- The driver was under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- They don’t believe their driver caused the crash.
- Your injuries are serious and the claim is very large. They would rather take their chances in court or try to negotiate a settlement for a lesser amount.
- The driver did not have permission to use the truck at the time of your accident
Even if the company attempts to deny liability, that doesn’t mean they won’t be held responsible. Regardless of the reason given, your Louisiana accident lawyer is going to work hard to get you’re the compensation you deserve.
Your Louisiana Accident Lawyer Will Fight to Get You Damages
In any tractor trailer accident, you’re going to sustain pretty serious injuries. This means you should be entitled to certain damages. The whole point of hiring a truck accident lawyer in Louisiana is to get you compensation for your injuries.
Some of the damages that you may be entitled to in Louisiana include:
- Medical Bills – You’re entitled to both current and future medical bills. If your doctor can show that you’re going to need future medical care, you should be compensated for this. They can do this using medical records. Or, they may submit an affidavit to the effect that you need long-term care.
- Lost Wages –If you missed more than a week or two from work, you can demand lost wages. Your lawyer will submit payroll records and tax returns to prove these damages.
- Pain and Suffering – These damages are intended to compensate you for any physical and mental anguish caused by the crash.
- Property Damage – If your car was damaged, you can demand that you be reimbursed the money to repair or replace your car.
Your Louisiana car accident lawyer will work hard to prove your damages. However, even if they’re able to prove your damages, they’ll still have to prove the truck driver was at fault for the crash.
Contact an Experienced Car Accident Attorney in Louisiana Today
If you’re hurt in a car accident, you should contact an experienced car accident lawyer in Louisiana. They’re used to handling cases just like yours. Call today and schedule your initial consultation. It’s absolutely free and you pay nothing until you settle your case.
The defendant will have lawyers working for them and you should too. Let an experienced car accident lawyer get you the compensation you deserve.