It is vital to determine who was at fault in any car accident. This knowledge attributes liability for injuries and losses that occur as a result of the crash. When an accident occurs at an intersection, the first step is usually figuring out who had the right of way. Unfortunately, when accidents occur at a four-way stop, it is often difficult to ascertain what occurred. These intersections are often difficult for drivers to navigate. That why so many accidents occur at these junctions.
Figures from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration show that accidents at intersections are common. From 2014 to 2016, 442 fatal crashes occurred at intersections in Louisiana. These accidents are usually due to some violation of the right of way laws.
Circumstances Under Which Drivers Are Required to Yield in Baton Rouge, LA
Sometimes it is clear who has the right of way. The driver who is first to arrive at a four-way intersection should proceed through it first. Other times, it more difficult. If two or more drivers arrive at the intersection simultaneously, it can be challenging to determine who should go first. Generally, it is assumed that the driver furthest to the right will have the right of way.
Under the right of way laws,
- If there is a yield sign at an intersection, motorists should slow down and yield to oncoming traffic. They should proceed through only when they can do so without disrupting oncoming traffic.
- If pedestrians are rightfully crossing the street, drivers must yield to them.
- When turning left, motorists traveling straight through an intersection have the right of way.
- When entering a paved road from an unpaved road, drivers on the paved road have the right of way.
- If an emergency vehicle enters the intersection with lights flashing and sirens on, motorists must yield. This falls under Louisiana Revised Statute 32§125.
Determining Negligence in a Four-Way Stop Accident
To attribute fault to a driver, you need to prove that they were negligent. Negligence may be displayed by violating one of the above laws regarding yielding the right of way. However, the driver may have disregarded other traffic laws or displayed other negligent behaviors.
- Running red lights
- Using a cellphone while driving
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
Since fault can be difficult to determine in a four-way stop accident, the help of a lawyer is invaluable. If you have been involved in a crash at an intersection, contact a Baton Rouge auto accident lawyer. They can gather all the available evidence and assign an investigator to probe deeper if necessary. They can also assist you in your interactions with insurance companies.
Damages an Auto Accident Attorney in Baton Rouge Can Help You Recover
The whole point of determining fault is figuring who to pursue damages. Once your Baton Rouge auto accident lawyer determines who was at fault, he will prepare a claim on your behalf. Once the driver has insurance, the claim will be sent to their insurance company. There are varying types of damages you can seek. They must be based on the injuries and property damage which occurred during the accident. Each loss you claim will have to be backed by evidence.
An experienced auto accident attorney can help you to get compensation for:
- This includes hospital fees, the cost of medication and surgery, physical therapy and any future treatment you may need.
- If you had to miss time from work, you can get compensation for the money you lost. If you will not be able to work again, you can also claim future lost
- This covers repairs for your vehicle and any other items which were damaged in the accident.
- If your case ends up in court, your attorney may ask for punitive damages to be awarded. These are only imposed if the driver acted in a grossly negligent manner or acted deliberately to cause multiple injuries. It can be difficult to get punitive damages unless the result of the accident was catastrophic. When awarded, it is because the judge wants to punish the defendant. They also want to prevent similar actions in the future.
You will need a skillful car accident attorney by your side to get all the compensation you deserve.
Contact a Baton Rouge Auto Accident Lawyer Today!
If you are the victim of a four-way stop accident in Baton Rouge, reach out to a Baton Rouge car accident attorney. The professionals at Louisiana Accident Lawyers have several years’ experience in defending victims of negligent drivers. They can help you determine who was at fault and get you compensation for your losses. Don’t delay. Call them today for a consultation.