One of the worst things you can do is get into an accident while you’re drinking and driving. Not only do you risk hurting yourself and others, but you can get into a world of legal trouble. Almost every state has enhanced penalties for DUI when there’s an accident.
If you’re cited for drinking and driving at the time of an accident, you’re definitely going to need an attorney. You’re going to be facing criminal charges. You may even be sued for damages caused in the accident. It’s not something you’re going to want to handle yourself,
Another big question is how insurance comes into play. A lot of people think that your insurance won’t cover damages caused in a drinking and driving accident. This is not true. Your insurance company does still have to cover these damages. However, this doesn’t mean you won’t still pay through the nose.
Your Baton Rouge Car Accident Lawyer Can Help
If you’re arrested for DUI, the first thing you should do is call a Baton Rouge car accident lawyer. You will be facing possible jail time, license suspension and some pretty stiff fines. Although there is a limit to what an attorney can do to make these things go away, it’s a good idea to have an experienced lawyer by your side.
These problems are compounded when your DUI involves an accident. Whether you hit another car or a telephone pole, there are going to be damages involved. Someone has to pay for these damages. Thankfully, if you have insurance, they will cover most of these damages.
The good news is that your policy will cover damages caused by just about any accident. This is true even if you’re at fault. The things they won’t cover are intentional acts or acts of fraud. Even though you did make the decision to drink and drive, your claim will more than likely be covered. Unless they can prove that you intentionally set out to drive drunk and cause an accident, the claim should be paid.
The following are times when your insurance will not cover damages:
- You set your car on fire to collect insurance proceeds
- Also, you ask someone else to cause damage to your car on purpose
You intentionally drive your car into a tree or telephone pole
- You lie about how the damage happened
So you can rest assured that if you get caught drinking and driving, your accident claim will probably be covered.
Why Do You Need a Vehicle Accident Attorney?
Although your claim may be covered, you will still be facing some very unpleasant news. Just because your insurance company pays the claim doesn’t mean you will come out unscathed. Your vehicle accident attorney will explain how you’ll be affected by a drinking and driving accident.
Here are a few things you need to know:
- Your insurance company will cover any amount up to your policy limits – If the damages exceed your limits, your insurance company may try to push some of the blame on you.
- If the damages exceed your policy limits, you may be sued personally for the difference – You may be held personally responsible for some of the damages.
- Your insurance company may cancel your policy after the accident claim is paid – Once your policy comes up for renewal, your insurance company may decide you’re too high a risk to keep on.
- Even if they continue your policy, your rates will go through the roof – Even if they don’t cancel your policy, the insurance company will increase your rates. These rates could be as much as doubled.
- The claim and your DUI will follow you if you shop around for a different insurance company – You won’t be able to shop around for cheaper insurance after a DUI accident. This information is shared and will haunt you for quite some time.
Contact a Car Accident Attorney in Baton Rouge
If you’ve been caught drinking and driving, you need to contact a car accident attorney in Baton Rouge. You are going to be facing the following:
- Potential jail time
- Suspension or revocation of license
- Installation of ignition interlock device
- Personal lawsuit
You don’t want to handle this stuff yourself. You really need to rely on the skills of an experienced car accident attorney in Baton Rouge. Call today and schedule your initial consultation. It’ll give you a chance to talk to a lawyer about your case. It will also give you some peace of mind about how the next few months will impact you.